Friday, April 26, 2019

The Steps are Just the Beginning...

I had a curious conversation with someone who has been dancing many years in our Pacific Northwest tango community about my upcoming Intermediate-Level Close-Embrace Tango Bootcamp May 4, 2019. The question they posed to me was, What will you cover? 

Fair question. 

I explained that the point of these bootcamps is to improve posture and close-embrace technique -- the quality of the dance, and that we will also focus specifically on the cross (different qualities of movement, variations, shapes, etc.) of this so very "tango" movement. 

This person immediately went to: "Oh, I already know how to do the cross."

Yes, this is an Intermediate-Level workshop. Participants should "know" the cross. The point isn't to learn how to do the cross from scratch; the point is to amplify the nuance and possibilities within a movement that one already knows -- for both leads and follows. Tango isn't about "learning" the steps. That is just the beginning. 

I was grateful for the question and happy to expand on this for this person and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I look forward to your comment!